Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Kathleen Vanbeekom

13305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Look what has been scaring me for weeks - photos
5/9/2009 11:45:04 AM

Those 40-40-30 statistics were for the most-often confrontations between people and wild varmints, not including domestic animals or being bitten by PEOPLE.

+0
Kathleen Vanbeekom

13305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/9/2009 11:45:42 AM
But that's 110%, maybe its 40-30-30. 
+0
Peter Fogel

7259 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/9/2009 11:53:29 AM

Hi Amanda,

When I first read your post a few days ago I thought it was an amusing story and will probably inspire you to write a poem and I saw I hit the nail on the head with that observation. :) 

I checked up on the groundhog and found it's essentially not to problematic unless you have crops and they start eating away but there are other problems too.

Here's what I found in wikipedia about this little rodent.

Glad you're over the fright and now in the get outta here stage.

Shalom,

Peter

Groundhog

The groundhog (Marmota monax), also known as woodchuck, land beaver or whistlepig, is a rodent of the family Sciuridae, belonging to the group of large ground squirrels known as marmots. Other marmots, such as the yellow-bellied and hoary marmots, live in rocky and mountainous areas, but the woodchuck is a lowland creature. It is widely distributed in North America and common in the northeastern and central United States. Groundhogs are found as far north as Alaska, with their habitat extending southeast to Alabama.[2]

Anatomy and behavior

The groundhog is the largest sciurid in its geographical range, typically measuring 40 to 65 cm (17 to 26 in) long (including a 15 cm tail) and weighing 2 to 4 kg (4.5 to 9 pounds). In areas with fewer natural predators and large quantities of alfalfa, groundhogs can grow to 80 cm (32 in) and 14 kg (30 lb). Groundhogs are well adapted for digging, with short but powerful limbs and curved, thick claws. Unlike other sciurids, the groundhog's spine is curved, more like that of a mole, and the tail is comparably shorter as well – only about one-fourth of body length. Suited to their temperate habitat, groundhogs are covered with two coats of fur: a dense grey undercoat and a longer coat of banded guard hairs that gives the groundhog its distinctive "frosted" appearance.

Groundhogs usually live from two to three years, but can live up to six years in the wild. In captivity, groundhogs can exceed this limit; by example, the 22-year-old Wiarton Willie may indicate the maximum lifespan. Common predators for groundhogs include wolves, coyotes, foxes, bobcats, bears, large hawks, and owls and dogs. Young groundhogs are often at risk for predation by snakes, which easily enter the burrow.

Mostly herbivorous, groundhogs primarily eat wild grasses and other vegetation, and berries and agricultural crops when available.[3] Groundhogs also eat grubs, grasshoppers, insects, snails and other small animals, but are not as omnivorous as many other sciurids.

Groundhogs are excellent burrowers, using burrows for sleeping, rearing young, and hibernating. The average groundhog has been estimated to move approximately 1 m³ (35 cubic feet), or 320 kg (700 pounds), of dirt when digging a burrow. Though groundhogs are the most solitary of the marmots, several individuals may occupy the same burrow. Groundhog burrows usually have two to five entrances, providing groundhogs their primary means of escape from predators. Burrows are particularly large, with up to 45 feet (14 m) of tunnels buried up to 5 feet (1.5 m) underground, and can pose a serious threat to agricultural and residential development by damaging farm machinery and even undermining building foundations.[4]

Read more here Wikipedia

Peter Fogel
Babylon 7
+0
Amanda Martin-Shaver

2587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/9/2009 12:36:06 PM
Hi Kathleen,

Thanks for the information.

Phewy skunks, I would not know either if they have all four
feet on the ground when they spray, but they sure do stink
up close and personal, they have a
smell on them it is in
their fur. I guess from their stink glands.

When James and I were renting in Cheyenne, Wyoming there
was a family of skunks next door James trapped them one
at a time in those humane cages. 

Only one out of the mother and 3 babies sprayed - fortunately
not on James but the smell permeated into the house and it
was a blistering hot day.  The smell is over powering and overwhelming and made me feel sick for quite some time.

Amanda

+0
Amanda Martin-Shaver

2587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/9/2009 12:44:03 PM
Hello Peter,

*lol* how well you are getting to know me and what inspires
me to write.

Thanks for the information, I have learned a lot about the
groundhog/woodchuck/whistle-pig/land beaver.
When I first saw him he did look like a beaver without a flat
tail. - Although I have not seen a beaver in person just plenty
of animal programs on TV and magazines photos.

We had a family of beavers living in the stream only about
200 - 300 meters from our place, I can see this stream from
our north facing windows.  But did not catch sight of any.

I said in a previous post on here, that our 4 acre property is
surrounded by two farming neighbours (our west side has
the gravel road public access between the boundary) These
two neighbours alternate each year feed corn and soybean.  Where they had corn growing they plant soybean and vice versa.
So this groundhog and any family is going to have lots to eat
from our neighbours!

Amanda
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!