Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
RE: The Murder of the English Language
12/11/2012 11:07:00 AM
You are quite right, we are sleepwalking (or being media-hypnotised) into huge disasters. As you know I am not a religious person, but I have lived where religion is more than important, but a State Diktat. Three years (two trips) in the Middle East and in so-called moderate states was enough to open my eyes to the point of being able to say to free-thinking supporters of Islam that you really wouldn't want to live under it.

In my 50 years of advertising and marketing aroiund the world, the Middle East was the ONLY region where the normal Western values do NOT apply. They simply don't think like Westerners, and yet we don't seem able to wake up to their completely different value system. OK that's theirs, and much as I dislike it, let them get on with it. But we are seeing an altogether different and evangelical factor coming into play from this area now, which is undermining us, and is completely alien to our time-honoured rights and views of humanity.

We are being brow-beaten as being racist (although Islam is not a race as I get tired of saying) if we do not 'respect' their views. Not true, I will respect them but why should I have to accept them for myself? The fact that they don't respect mine is a side issue.

This is where the Word Games are either being used deliberately or unintentionally to disguise threatened changes to the way I for one, want to live out the rest of my life.

Weasel words are being used to hide realities, and this is where we need to understand and protect our language in order to recognise the distortions, and outright lies we are being fed., we need to understand the differences and use them when and where applicable.

Words ARE or can be Weapons of defence as well as attack. I have no children, and am in the last quarter of my life, so have not too much vested interest in the future, but those who do, should start to wake up and question and deny if necessary the rubbish they are being fed.

Getting serious this isn't it?

Norm Clark
+0
Michael Caron

2248 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/11/2012 6:47:18 PM
Quote:

Hi Mike,

you are absolutely correct about English being truly the only international language. Oddly I worked in some out of the ordinary places when lecturing, and admit to getting a bit complacent about it. After all I was in France, Russia, Hungary, Vietnam, Estonia, Latvia, Ukraine, and the Middle East at various times and ALWAYS lectured in English.

One notable lecture was held in a church in Kiev - you know the sort with the golden onions on top? There I lectured from a pulpit would you believe? To say it was a bit of a farce was an understatement as I had a Ukrainian 'instant' translator alongside me, who not only translated the words, but my every gesture and movement to the screen to illustrate points. At the first halfway break, people were asking me to stop him as it was annoying.

Easier said than done, but we managed after ensuring he would be paid anyway. He did have a case of the sulks though!

However I did get caught out in Vilnius (Lithuania) where I had a full house and cheerfully launched into my presentation. After a few minutes I realised I wasn't getting through to them, and asked the local representative what was amiss. Deeply embarrassed he told me the event had been publicised in Lithuanian, and it had never occurred to them that people would automatically assume the lecture was in that language.

The one and only time that happened in over 20 years! Lesson - check out the details and use the old acronym (is that right?) 'Never ASSUME anything - as it can make an ASS of U and ME.

How true.

Hi Norm,

I don't believe that Benny Hill ever realized how profound that statement would become. That one short sentence impacts a great deal. Translators seem to try to put more into their translations then are actually there. The same can be said about those that translate sign language, or rather the oral word into sign language. As the speaker is incorporating his or her own emotions as they speak, there is no need for the interpretor to do the same. This simply takes away from the presentation itself. I have not done much public speaking myself, however while stationed in Lajes Field, Azores in the 60's I was in a Little theatre group. I was singing a song with what I thought were four other people behind me singing as well. As I was caught up in the song, I did not realize that the other three had stepped backwards, and when the song was completed we took our group bow, or at least I thought it was a group bow. I was the only one left on stage. The others got stage fright, which I had also, however I thought that they were there supporting me so I continued. We had rehearsed that song all week, and had not prepared ourselves for a full house to be watching us. I guess the reason that I brought this up is to say that I admire you for what you do, because when you step onto that stage, you have a full house of critics waiting for you to make one tiny mistake. I don't know why, and I am not saying this to be critical, however translators seem to have their own agenda in mind when helping to convey the message being brought forth. As we may not know the language in question, we have to trust that they are relaying our message correctly and not inserting their own ideas into the message.

When I mentioned the Sign language interpretor I am reminded of a speech tha President Barrack O'Bama was making about a month ago, I am not quite sure what the agenda was, because there was a female sign interpretor that looked like she was standing right next to him. I'm sure she wasn't, however as she signed his message she was using facial expressions as well. Very quickly into the conversation it was looking more like a comedy routine then a serious message. I'm not sure if their are certain protocols that interpretors must follow, however excessive facial gestures and insertion of their own words should not be allowed.

I have my own thoughts on other subjects that have been mentioned here as well, however I am contemplating on whether or not to mention them here because I don't want to create a controversal arena. TRUTH. This is the most allusive subject there is, because it is so very rare. As an example, if you want to learn the truth about the American Indian or Native American, do not read a book authored by an American Indian Fighter. Chances are, he will tell you that the American Indians scalped the new settlers, however the practice of scalping was first instigated by the Colonists. Always know where your news source comes from before forming an intelligent conclusion. As an example, it probably would not be a good idea to buy a Cook Book written by Jeffrey Darmer.

GOD BLESS YOU

~Mike~

http://www.countryvalues65.com

Michael J. Caron (Mike) TRUTH IN ADVERTISING!! Friends First. Business Later.
+1
12/12/2012 3:48:55 AM
Hi Mike,
wasn't it said by some erudite person that you are only truly alone in two situations - one when you are about to die, and the other when you are about to make a speech! I suppose singing a song in public would be in the latter - and certainly I would never inflict my singing voice on anyone - even the shower!

However you made the good point which I offer also gratis, free and for nothing. If you don't really know your stuff, then don't open your mouth, because that's when it will become obvious.

Amazing how few of our Leaders (and Journalists) have learned this simple truth. However when you live in a world of 'spin', 'soundbites' distortions and lies, Truth is probably hard to find?

Your book point is also valid, and currently one of my books in preparation is 'A History of Propaganda' which is proving even more fascinating than I anticipated. Many times Propaganda is Truth and Truth is Propaganda, but mostly we regard it as Lies, or at least exaggeration, both of which are also (curiously) True.

Was it Churchill who said 'History is written by the Victors'? I have been preparing a new boxed presentation on the First World War, and in the process reading Memoirs of many of the Leaders on all sides, and that truly is fascinating. Different views of the same situations.
Which is true? Probably all of them according to their point of view and background.

So, must we be tolerant of others because their Truth is different from ours? Logically we should answer yes, shouldn't we? But we can't be that even-handed as we have our own standards and consciences to live with. There were, and remain apologists/supporters of Hitler, Stalin and many others we think of as monsters, and trying to understand why is futile.

But that's part of being human isn't it?

Finally and maybe this could be as slightly off-colour but isn't, but a year or so back there were serious floods in a town called Cockermouth in Cumberland in the UK. This really floored the sign language translator!!

Take care!
Norm Clark
+2
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/13/2012 8:45:02 AM
Really need a "Like" button for that last one, Norm. I can just imagine that poor interpreter!

Dave
+1
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/11/2013 12:04:16 AM
Thanks to a very friendly and gregarious lady from Moscow, I have been thinking about the way our English language is abused and misused, once again.

She has started a fantastic thread in Russian about American English, otherwise known as Idiomatic American English. It is most interesting to read observations about our language from those whose native tongue is something other than English.

Dave
+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!