Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Joyce Parker Hyde

1967 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Francisco de Goya, Spanish painter, draftsman & printmaker
9/17/2013 1:16:23 AM
And to think he did a selfie without an "I" phone:)
(He was kinda cute)
+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/17/2013 1:43:15 AM
Quote:
Hi Luis - I really like the simplicity of Goya's people; they seem to be a secondary canvas only there to showcase the exquisite details of the work.
You can see every fold of fabric and every shadow correctly placed; and almost the thoughts behind the facial expressions of the characters, causing me to want to know the whole story behind each of them.

Wow Joyce, you have hit right on the nail's head. Like you, I recently was thinking how in a portrait, the expression in the face of a person can make all the difference; and how in a few of them you get to see their thoughts. Most clearly, it is only then that you can really feel that they are alive and breathing.

Thank you so much for showing up and posting.

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/17/2013 1:54:12 AM
Quote:
And to think he did a selfie without an "I" phone:)
(He was kinda cute)

That was a cute remark, Joyce; you have really made me smile; these days there doesn't seem to be many reasons to smile. The fact is, Goya was a great portraitist. He is known to have been merciless with his models; any defect, whether physical or psychical, would show in their faces.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/18/2013 2:20:45 AM

As used to be the norm in the western world - at least while the Holy Inquisition was active in Europe - religion painting was important in Goya's early artistic life. Here are three outstanding works by him: the first two are frescoes painted between 1771 - 1773; the third one, of 1780 - 1781 ... is an oil skectch!

Francisco de Goya - Birth of the Virgin (fresco in the
Charterhouse of the Aula Dei in Saragossa, Spain,
1771 - 1773)

Francisco de Goya - The Adoration of the Name of the Lord
(fresco in the
Catedral of El Pilar in Saragossa, Spain, 1772)

Francisco de Goya - Virgin Mary as Queen of Martyrs
(oil sketch in La Seo Museo in Saragossa, Spain,
1780 - 1781)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/18/2013 2:52:58 AM

THE HOLY FAMILY

(A Holy Family maybe less holy and more humane than those painted so far in Europe and America, but all the same charming and most beautiful.)

Francisco de Goya - The Holy Family
(oil on canvas, 1774)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!