As a Business Owner, is TIME an issue with you? Are you always behind schedule or late for meetings or appointments? How many trains or planes have you only just made it to? How stressful do you find your day? How stressed are those who work around you because of your TIME issues?
You might want to consider taking the time to conduct a TIME AUDIT to see where you spend your time. The task can be hard going for some (listing everything you do in 15 minute intervals for the week), but the results are worth it. Some Business Owners have been successful in freeing up 24 hours in their week to work ON their business. Others have found one whole month out of the year.
In many cases, business owners are doing tasks that can be delegated, lumped together and in some cases, ignored altogether. There are ways you can take control of your day and below are 20 tips to make sure you manage your time / activities successfully.
1. Firstly, we all have the same 86,400 seconds every day. You can't manage "TIME" but you can manage your ACTIVITY.
2. Have daily To-Do lists for things you know how "To Do".
3. Have a Goals list to discover & complete things you don't know how to do.
4. Set clear Goals and objectives (using the SMART Principle):
S is for Specific
M is for Measurable
A is for Achievable
R is for Results-focused
T is for Time-scaled
5. Set aside Time to come up with Ideas, using the TRAP principle:
T - is for un-interrupted Time to come up with the ideas
R - is for Record. Write them down
A - is for Assess. Keep the great ideas that excite you
P - is for Plan. Write down all the Steps needed to make them happen
6. Prioritize all tasks and activities.
7. Work on "Important" items before they become "Urgent".
8. Get all relevant information and then make decisions. Be decisive!
9. Do things NOW that will provide the highest value to your time.
10. Use the Pareto Principle (80/20 rule) to focus on your priorities.
11. Be in the "Present". Focus on one important task at a time.
12. "Eat that Frog" (do the hardest task of the day first).
13. Invest Time in Learning - replace "TV" time with Personal Development and Business Development time.
14. Develop great habits (21 times) so they happen without thinking.
15. Streamline your activity to be highly efficient and effective.
16. Use a quarterly plan to keep current on your goals.
17. Always ask "What am I doing? What works? What doesn't work?" Do more of what works and less of what doesn't.
18. Set World Class Life Goals. Major on the major, not on the minor.
19. Be focused - ignore interruptions and have set times for emails, meetings, things that crop up, etc.
20. Create A Success Diary - The weekly Timetable for your Business to get the important things DONE.
Following these "Tips" will get you focused on the important goals in your life and business. Take the time to make a difference.